#NWTW Week 7: Gewurztraminer from Alsace

My pick this week and it’s our first trip to France for the year.  I’ve picked Gewurztraminer from Alsace.  It’s usually a grape more closely associated with Germany, but just over the border in Alsace it grows in a really mixed microclimate.

Historically Alsace has flicked back and forth between being German and French, and the culture over there shows big links with both countries.  So although it is strictly speaking a French effort of a German grape, they’re used to doing it justice.

The picks this week are:

Majestic Wine
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht
£11.99 (when you buy 2 as part of a mixed case)

Morrison’s
Rieffel Gewurztraminer
£15.99

Sainsbury’s
Taste The Difference Alsace Gewurztraminer
£7.99

Spirited Wines
Jean-Victor Senner, Collection Privee 2012
£12.92

Lots more people getting involved in all this which we’re loving.  Thanks very much and enjoy week 7!

Cheers

22 thoughts on “#NWTW Week 7: Gewurztraminer from Alsace

1. woodbeez48 says:

There’s always a good reason to drink Gewurz 😉 You’ve made me want some now! The Sainsbury’s one is our standard and has been for many years.

2. Maria says:

So it will be our J-V Senner Gewurztraminer, on Saturday 🙂 It would definitely go well with a piece of Munster cheese or similar. Or Foie Gras with orange marmalade… Or something nice and Alsatian with sauerkraut. Or Flammekuechle with goat cheese… Oh dear I think I should stop now…

3. gamwit says:

Had the Alsace Gerwurts.from M&S not really my kind of thing generally(a little sweet) but delicately perfumed and complex, it was a perfect match for lightly spiced Persian duck and Morrocan vegetables.(@gamwit)

4. gamwit says:

Had the M&S Alsace Gerwurztraminer , not really my thing(a little sweetfor me) but it’s delicately floral complexity was a perfect match for lightly spiced Persian duck and Morroccan vegetables.

5. Confessions of a Wine Geek says:

Right then… Unfortunately even the Chicken fajitas couldn’t save this one… And I’m a big, big fan of Cave de Turckheim wines…

Cave de Turckheim Gewürztraminer 2011

Exotic and floral aromas with some tropical fruit and a dash if lime but its the cardamom and ginger that really jump out if the glass – more of a perfume than a wine! A touch of sweetness on entry some peachy fruit but also that warm spice and warm alcohol. There’s just too much going on for me and none of it quite fits together unfortunately. 5/10 (feeling kind)

6. michellewhelan2277 says:

I went for monk fish to have with my ‘Taste the Difference’ Gewurtzraminer, but unfortunately we switched to a red half way through dinner:-(. It was very fruity and the sweetness made the monk fish and parma ham taste very salty. I love Alsace but not Gewurtzraminer!